Friday, January 22, 2021

Discord | Why You Should Join

For those of you who are unfamiliar with Discord please keep reading :) 

First of all Discord is an application that you can download on your PC, tablet, or cell phone. This application is widely known in the gaming community. However, I find that Discord is such a great platform to use for organizing school project, 1-on-1 meeting, group meeting, and so much more! Which is why I decided to create my own server for IS101-2003 Spring 2021's class. 

Reasons To Join:

1. Organized weekly class assignment due dates.

2. Homework help.

3. Screen sharing is far superior than Cisco Webex.

4. Private messaging all organize in one place, not like Canvas. 

5. Open discussion amongst your peers. 


If you're interested here's the link: https://discord.gg/AyzuAWWsFe


How to get Discord:

1. Go to Discord.com. 

2. Create a username and password.

3. Download the app.

4. Copy and paste the link above into your URL.

5. Click "join" and you should be redirected to the server on the app.

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for giving me quick walk through of how you use Discord :-)

    Looks it does much of what Microsoft Teams and Slack do. One feature that stood out for me is that Discord is able to allow simultaneous screen share instead one presenter at a time. Perhaps online gaming requires this whereas business meetings do not or not as much?

    Interesting that the company Discord Inc. (originally Hammer & Chisel, Inc.) uses a .gg (country code Top-Level Domain for the Bailiwick of Guernsey) as its download URL. Upon a quick research and reading, I see that "multiple video game and esports websites use this domain, because "gg" is a common initialism used in multiplayer video games as an abbreviation for the phrase "good game", usually said at the end of a match." (wikipedia)

    I don't have any children but a parent new to Discord may want to review this article: https://www.commonsensemedia.org/blog/parents-ultimate-guide-to-discord

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this is great thank you for sharing! This is what it's about, teamwork! Thank you for information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this! I use discord on a daily basis and it would be helpful for all of us to share an additional platform and aid each other (: I will definitely check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a fellow user of Discord I can most certainly vouch and advocate for its uses as you have done here, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing. You are putting a lot of work into school to make sure you do well and it shows. I have joined.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have recently signed up for Discord! However, the layout seemed intimidating. I haven't had too much time to go back in and actually explore it. Thank you for sharing this information! I will try to come around to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the introduction! It seems a powerful app. I will definitely use it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for creating the discord server! I'm completely new to using it, but I hope I'll eventually get the hang of it over time. Initially, I'd always shied away from it simply because I thought it was limited to gamers. There are so many facets of the application however. Thanks for introducing it to me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think this is a great idea, but the fact that Discord is mostly used by gamers, I think schools will disregard this idea. I'm a big pc gamer, but I rarely use Discord.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've only ever used Discord for Animal Crossing. Never really thought to use it for school. I love the idea though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's awesome that you made an own discord for IS101! I first made a discord to play Among Us with my friends so I will definitely join the group!

    ReplyDelete